Monday, October 22, 2007

"I Have A Dream"

According to one report, the elderly have literally trillions of dollars to spend. So why, oh, why do businesses make it so difficult to get in to spend it? This I must scratch my head about. I continuously have to ask for wheel chairs, often times there are none to be had - how can this be? If they can send a man to the moon, then why can't we have wheel chairs readily available for those who need them? Wheel chairs can be cumbersome and heavy. Not everyone is able to lift them, particularly little old people who are often times trying to assist each other. Many larger businesses and stores do have electric carts, but not wheel chairs. Not everyone is able to use an electric cart. It is not only those who need a wheel chair, but those who are with the persons with limited mobility. Even the electric carts can be a pain to haul around. Why not make it as easy and fluid as possible to get from the car into the store or place of business?

"I have a dream."


I have a dream that one day we will be able to drive up to a button to press at a place of business, such as a grocery store or department store etc. indicating we need a wheelchair or some kind of assistance, then someone will appear with a chair for us or to help us. We will then get into the store fluidly thereby readily able to spend our trillions.

Remember businesses, it is all about you! We would spend our trillions if only we could easily get in to do so!

A brand new store opens - this is an international market - sprawling with many choices. My mother and I had much shopping to do, but alas, no wheelchairs available. We sat outside at a bench while my niece went in to the store for a couple of items. I asked for the store manager who said, "We have a lot of electric scooters." I explained that not everyone is able to use an electric scooter and we did not have our wheelchair packed for such a large store. The store manager did not seem concerned. I would happily given her much money in exchange for our goods for the day.

No comments: